Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Day 56 / Jan 23

            Another morning with a meeting, and another morning with nothing but a not-quite warm shower – oh, how I loath waking up in the morning.   On top of it all, it's a bit chilly here and running that 50 feet to the shower to find out that there is no hot water does not make for a good start to the morning.

            I did manage to down a cup of coffee before rushing out to my meeting, but I forgot to take some paperwork with me.   Now, I have to run back down across the FOB to deliver the paperwork.  Just another morning.

            Ran into Jack (the FA buddy) again today.  He picked up his wire for his phone and can run it anytime he gets a chance.   He's been busy running around with this thing and that thing, so that's why I haven't seen him in a couple days.

            Decided to try to work a little gym time into my schedule right after dinner, assuming something like a crazy meeting doesn't jump up in there.   I don't think I'll start with an every day schedule, but work into slowly, maybe once a week.  Or maybe a couple times a week, and for starters, I'll just play some basketball and get the heart rate up above "stagnant" where it stays when there are no mortars falling or people trying to blow us up.

            So, I managed a quick run through the gym tonight.  It was about the same as usual, I played a couple games of basketball, got thoroughly smoked (both physically and by losing horribly), didn't make any baskets, but I did manage to steal a few balls.   A typical night on the court.  No one would ever voluntarily pick me for their team (with good cause), so in order to get on a team I have to be the first one on the team (so I get to pick the teams – really, even I wouldn't pick myself, but I'm a bit selfish and so I always do).

            The best part of the day comes on the way back to my office from the a site.  It was dark, the moon wasn't out yet, but I managed to weave my way successfully through the concrete barriers into the open field.   I was feeling pretty cocky, thinking I could see great in the dark, blah blah blah, and was following the lights back to the office.  Things were going great, not so much as a stumble – then it happened.   My foot contacted something on its outswing and completely threw off my balance.  My body kept moving forward as the lower half of me met a waist-high plastic barrier and stopped.   I nearly flipped over it, but managed to stop myself with a well placed elbow to the plastic and a hip check (completely out of my control).  I bruised both places but managed to stay upright - barely.  Thankfully it was too dark for anyone to see….  I limped back to the office, laughing at myself all the way.   It's the world's little ways of humbling you that work the best.

1 comment:

AtaiDanu said...

Glad you can be humble and laugh at yourself at the same time.

Profile for Polarbz