Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

DAY 5? / JAN 27

Day 5? / JAN27

            It rained a lot last night.

            Woke up with a headache, but it went away (mostly) after a cup of coffee from Ackbar and Jeff's Coffee Hut.   They aren't really Ackbar and Jeff, but that's what my wife calls them – from the Matt Groening characters.

            When I got to work, I plugged in my computer and subsequently got shocked.   After a bit of testing, I discovered that ANY metal on my computer shocked me.  I looked around and ensured that my powerstrip wasn't under water – which it wasn't.   After a little bit more investigation I found that the place where the powerstrip linked into ANOTHER powerstrip (yes, I know its not safe… etc) was underwater and had shorted the ground for my plug.   So, any metal was transmitting electricity to me.  When it dried out, it was alright again.

            I've been making "friends" with some of the Turkish and Iraqi people who run the shops, learning their names, talking about their families – mostly so I can learn a bit about their culture – but also so I can get a discount on their goods.. =)   Just kidding.

            The guy who runs the DVD/Video Game/Electronics store (one of them) is a good guy, or seems to be.   His name is Haeden (maybe?) but its pronounced Aiduh.  He recognizes me when I come in and we shake hands and chit chat for a bit before I get whatever I need from him.   He is Iraqi from Baghdad.  His family is there, but he lives on the FOB.

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz