Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

DAY 34 / JAN 01 2006

DAY 34 / JAN 01, 2006

            Just another day at FOB Warhorse.  Slept in til 0900, got some work done, called home, used the internet, the usual.  Our equipment is finally coming on-line and we are just waiting for the other units to come up to speed before we have control of the system.

            I guess we received incoming fire again.  It was nowhere near where I was and that�s good.  All I heard was the outgoing message.  It�s always good to see that we can respond to their attacks.  I�d hate to be on the other end of those rounds.

            Currently I�m planning a convoy to pick up some equipment and drop some other stuff off.  Today, I also set up a decent maintenance schedule that I hope the CO will sign off on.

            I have internet in my office and also a DSN phone to call home, but the connections are pretty crappy.

            That brings my mind back around to this morning.  I knew that at 1000, if I called home, I would be able to ring in the New Year with my wife.  Well, the operator at our base was a bit too slow and I missed the ball dropping by 30 seconds.  Damn.  Actually, I went in early so that I wouldn�t miss it, but all of the damned phones were occupied!  I first checked my NETOPs, then the ATT center, both were packed.  Then I checked my last resort, a back room that I just found out about yesterday.  No sooner did I get on then someone else tried to snatch it too.  Too bad for them, I got there first.  I wished my wife a Happy New Year almost on time.  If I hadn�t been on hold for 5 minutes, I would have been right on time!

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz