Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

DAY 37 / JAN 05

DAY 37 / JAN 05

     

      It was a very non-exciting morning.   No dawn attack, and even better, no meetings!  But, this afternoon is another issue.  I have to attend the Commander's meetings (yes, plural) this evening because he is gone to the supply depot.

      I spent the morning prepping the Commanders run to the supply depot and then found out that I could run a phone to my FA buddy (when I see him again).   That's good news.

Around 1500 we received another barrage of mortar fire.   There were about six rounds that landed in one area, and another four or so somewhere else.  I have to say that these rounds felt like they were pretty close.   I think they are trying to give the outgoing guys a going away present because they were manifesting (all gathering in a single spot) when the rounds came in.  We fired counterfire and hopefully those folks won't be shooting again.   Well, after the action it was "put on your gear" and then back to work.

I recovered some shrapnel from the blast site as a souvenir and as a reminder for when I go home that its not all peaches and cream everywhere else.   After examining the piece of shrapnel that I recovered, I've determined that it is a piece of the outer casing of the mortar and based on the fact that it has rust on it, it is old and not well cared for.   This is good news as it means that they don't have fresh rounds to fire and they are still working from old rounds.  Eventually, they have to run out.   Without a fresh supply, every one they blow up or we find is one less we have to worry about.  Sure, Saddam had tons of these things, but eventually they have to run out.

Our QRF went out and found someone who was involved and arrested him.

The commander managed to make it back for one of his two meetings tonight, so I was spared the suffering of both of them, but, in the morning, I have more meetings to go to.   Such is my life, one meeting after another, the days tracked by which meeting is next.

Now, I have to go all the way across the FOB to drop off a piece of paper.   And, its dark and I have to wear all of my gear.  It'll be fun, but I'll make it better by grabbing a cup of coffee on the way (that way I have something to drink from in the morning too! – not the same coffee, just the same cup).

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz