Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Day 39 /JAN 7

DAY 39 / JAN 07

 

            One more day down, one day from the big 40!  It isn't much of a milestone, but I'll take what I can get.  

            Another meeting this morning got me out of bed early, but I didn't have any issues taking care of the issues in the meeting.   I was supposed to get some MILVANs moved from where they are to closer to where I am, but that fell through and is rescheduled to tomorrow.

            I talked to my wife this morning and it always is the highlight of my day.   My signal connection was lost about halfway through the conversation, necessitating me to use the internet to communicate with her.  My hotmail wouldn't come up because the connection was slow (due to quality and packet loss), but my Gmail (Google Mail) came up quick because it doesn't have all the frills of MSN Messenger – but it gets the IM chat done nicely.   Even on a super slow connection, Gmail is usable, whereas AKO mail and Hotmail are not.  Once I got her hooked up to it, I saw a cute little phone icon on the screen and clicked it and it started ringing.   Soon, I guess she pushed her little phone icon and I was able to talk to her through the microphones in my computer.  Wow, that was cool.   All I need now is to get a headset mic and headphone, and for her to do the same and we'll be talking without using the phone at all.  She said it sounded clear on her end.   Now, I can't wait for google to come out with video chat – but then, maybe they'll block the google chat port and we'll be SOL.  I can deal with voice for awhile, I'll just put a pic of her on my screen and pretend its live.

            I finally moved my computer to the office and get sporadic Internet.   Once the new equipment gets installed in the next week or so, our Internet capability in the office should increase dramatically.  I gave up using the left behind computer for stuff because its slow as hell.    Now, at least my computer feel comfortable, even if my internet doesn't.  I even managed to bring the printer that didn't work for the last guys up and now its my personal printer.

            No action on the FOB today.  Just the same ole same ole.   Spent most of the time in the office, doing convoy planning and waiting for the internet to come back in.

            It started to rain today so its all muddy once again.  The floor in the office is trashed, dirt and mud everywhere.  Someone stepped on my IBAS and somehow managed to get mud on the barrel of my M4.

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz