Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

DAY 50 / JAN 18

DAY 50 / JAN 18

A banner day in Iraq, or at least on FOB Warhorse. I received a total of 4 boxes of mail – and all from different people! What a great day, can they get any better?! In fact, my wife sent a DVD of some tv from home and it has changed the way I play (er..work) on the computer. I used to have the internet open and some music in the background, but now, with music videos and tv shows on, I have them in the corner, the internet on the top and this little box in the other corner. Multitasking at its best.

Other than that, I has the usual meeting this morning, sent a patrol out to the north and put out small little fires here and there. A wonderful day.

And, because every day is closer to going home, its always better than yesterday and not quite as good as tomorrow. Every day my glass gets more full. I'm making up milestones to amuse myself. The next one is the big 50 days away from home and after that it's the "less than 300 days to go" milestone. I have to take it in pieces, a year just seems too long to worry about all at once.

I've also discovered that Google Earth will mark Geocaches on its map automatically – that would have made life easier back home looking for the damned things. But, now that I know, I've discovered that there are about four of them at one of the FOBs we frequent (but none on mine, yet).

I got an advertisement for a realtor and accidentally clicked on it. It showed a nice house in Manitou Springs, near where we are now, and I was curious as to the price. It was about $300,000k. Ouch, but when I saw the monthly mortgage price I was shocked to see that it was LESS than my BAH – good deal. But, Manitou Springs is not exactly close to where I work, and who knows how long we'll be there? Maybe for future reference.

My request for magnets was well received and I'm adorned my CHU with magnets and stuff held up by magnets. I plan to leave most of the magnets for the next sucker to get stuck here, but there are some very strong ones that will come with me. Heck, I might just take them all home and give the rest to my kids. We'll see how I feel in 10 months.

Well, the fun time is over, the internet blocking software came back up today and I can once again no longer get to my blogs to review or edit them, so you'll just have to deal with my numerous double posting and bass-akwards numerbing.

1 comment:

AtaiDanu said...

4 boxes of mail eh? You are loved. My husband gets about 2 boxes a week and that's only because I'm sick of going into the post office. *grins*

Profile for Polarbz