Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

DAY 38 / JAN 6

DAY 38 / JAN 06

            A mostly quiet day, starting with a quiet walk to the meeting my convoy meeting this morning.   I had hoped to not have to go tomorrow, but based on a mission going out Monday, I get to go tomorrow as well.  Luckily, I have Sunday off of that meeting because I am sending a stand-in.  

            I grabbed a cup of coffee from the Green Beans Coffee Shop as I had planned and am still in control of the cup so that I can use it for my coffee throughout the upcoming days until I receive a coffee mug.

            The only thing of interest that happened today was a MEVA (Mission Essential Vulnerable Area) exercise that, according to the Big Voice (PA System), was "not a drill."   Typically a MEVA exercise is called when an insurgent or enemy has gotten within the perimeter.  So, we all started manning our posts and preparing for the next word when they called back and told us that the MEVA was for FPOC (Force Protection something-er-others) personnel only and we could stand down.   We finished our 100% accountability and stopped there.  Apparently, the thing that started the MEVA was that an Iraqi worker was caught with a cell-phone and camera.   They aren't supposed to have those things here because they could be taking pictures of stuff they shouldn't be and giving or selling it to be that shouldn't have it.

            I was finally forced to take an electronic leash so that I could be contacted at any time.   Now, I have to carry a mobile radio with me everywhere I go.  Great.

            The internet in my office was down all day, making for a very dull stay in the office.   I didn't go out because going out meant wearing all of my gear and that just sucks even worse.

            I did manage to link up with my FA buddy again and hooked him up with the guys who he can hook his phone into.   All he needs now is wire and the phone itself and he's on his way!

 

            I had a moment this morning to look around and see just how prevalent the idea of death is all around us.   Not to be morbid, but everything that has a name, Cash Gym, Sallie Gym, Faulkenberg Theater, Wood DFAC, and so on, is named for someone who died around here.   Every day, someone outside the chain link and concertina fence thinks about how he's going to try and kill us.  And we're the ones trying to make this place better!   We go out and help them build great buildings, houses, manufacturing facilities and we have to do it under armed guard – not guarding against us, but for us.  If the people would only see that once the violence stops we can increase our production of their infrastructure by one-hundred times.   Until then, the pace of progress will be slowed by IEDs, snipers, and mortars.  The good news is that unless they put out a real big bomb, their attacks are more or less fruitless.   One convoy was hit with RPGs, IEDs and small arms fire and still managed to get through and get to where it was going with no injuries.  Our equipment protects US from them, but there is nothing, really, to protect the good people in Iraq from them.

           

            Last night at the DFAC, there were some troops sitting down from me, being very obnoxious.   They were loud and vulgar, but clearly enjoying themselves.  Although their actions and volume level were somewhat annoying, the fact that some people here are able to experience moments of happiness in a place that really doesn't get much is heartening.

           

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz