Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Monday, December 26, 2005

Day 26 / Dec 24



DAY 26 / DEC 24

            As I write this, I�m sitting in my CHU with FBR (Full Battle Rattle) on waiting for another 100% report from my 1SG.  Let me explain how the day has gone.

            It started out well, I briefed the ADCS (A General) on the Signal Company we have versus the Signal Company that is presently here.  No problem.

            Had lunch at the DFAC after calling my wife and sent an email or two from the NETOPS.  No problem.

            Went Haji window shopping and have devised a plan to maybe make a little cash on ebay while I�m here.  No problem.

            Had the usual XO meeting at 1600.  Briefed him on the Signal Taskings we were supposed to get done.  No problem.

            Went to dinner at the DFAC.  This is where the problem starts.

            Main line was fish or something so I went with the short order.  I got chicken wings and French fries and a grilled cheese sandwich.  After I had eaten about three wings, I mortar round went off.  It sounded like it wasn�t all that far away, in fact, it was the closest I had ever heard.  I looked at the guy across from me and we, along with everyone else in the DFAC, put on our helmets and hit the floor.  Another round hit, closer than the last, and then another, still closer.  That was three, I figured we were done, but just to be safe, I stayed on the ground.  Another round hit and this time it sprayed dirt on the DFAC.  That was way too close for me.  From now on, I get take out.

            As the 3ID Soldiers started filing out of the building, there was no sense of panic, just another feeling of, �not again.�  As one charming 3ID Soldier put it on her way out the door, �Welcome to FOB Warhorse, 4th ID.�  Welcome, indeed.

            So, we filed out behind the Soldiers and headed to the bunker where we heard the last of our outgoing rounds being fired from Paladins to rain steel and fire on the fuckers who tried to kill us.  Outgoing is a great sound.  And so is the sound of the helicopters in the air, looking for the dead bodies of those killed by our counter-attack.

            So, once in the bunker, I started listening to one of the civilian security guys who mentioned that the rounds we took the other day were most likely just targeting rounds and that�s why they didn�t go off.  Today�s were not targeting rounds by any definition I can come up with.  Those little fuckers were trying to kill someone � I hope the Apaches and Paladins take care of business tonight.

            After a few minutes of quiet, we moved from the bunker back to our CHUs to get accountability.  A few minutes after I arrived, we achieved 100% accountability of people and I went to the XO�s CHU and because he wasn�t there I wrote down the info for him and stuck it on his door.

            I headed back to the CHU to begin this little account of the attack.  Actually, first, I took a picture of myself for my wife because she asked for it.  No sooner had I snapped the picture than another BOOM! cut the darkness (at which point I promptly laid on the ground) followed by another.  �Shit,� I thought, �now we have to get ANOTHER 100% accountability.�  Because everyone was still in the general vicinity, it didn�t take very long and I walked back to the XO�s CHU and updated the time on the paper I left on his door.

            At this time, I have no real idea of how close the explosions were to anything specific on the FOB.  The one blew dirt onto the DFAC, so I know that it wasn�t extremely far away.  In fact, even after I find out, I probably will not disclose where exactly they hit for the sake of OPSEC.  Maybe at a later date I will, but not now.

Now, I�m back in my CHU, huddled over the computer, with all my FBR on.  I don�t think I�ll be able to call home tonight, but maybe, and I don�t think I�ll email this tonight either, but maybe.

            The reason for the increase in attacks is because the bad guys are �testing� us.  They want to see if we will response, and if we do, HOW we will respond.  It is common practice for the new guys to be tested in this way.  The stupid thing for the bad guys is that they are not currently testing US.  They are still receiving the reaction of the 3ID and so, they aren�t really gaining anything by it.  Once we take over for good, THEN they would be receiving our reaction, and by God, I hope its one hell of a firestorm we lay out the first time they pull this bullshit.

 

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz