Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

DAY 68 / JAN 05

DAY 68 / JAN 05

 

            Today was quiet.  I slept in again (knowing that I planned to stay up for the Superbowl), and had a nice shower.   I pretty much spent the day waiting for tonight and the Superbowl.  Not a lot else going on.

            We did have a memorial for a Soldier who was killed in a rollover accident (he was part of 101 st but still in our Area of Operations).  They flew in a couple Generals and "important people."  It was the second memorial since we've been here.   The Brigade has only lost two Soldiers so far – and only one to enemy contact.  Our one to enemy contact was a tanked who was killed when his tank was hit with an IED.   I don't know the specifics, but if someone gets killed IN a tank, that's was one big bomb. 

            After the memorial I went back to the office to do some more waiting.

 

            At 1245 am (JAN 06) we received six incoming mortar rounds.  A nice little reminder that we are not alone here.  Before today, the last mortars were on Jan 21.  All of the outgoing rounds that we shoot sound like they are coming from our helipad because of the echo off the concrete walls – so, if the big booms come from that direction, I assume its outgoing.   These did not sound like that.  They came from another direction.  AND, the first one of these had a very distinct CRACK sound to it that was not common to outgoing.   The CO and I looked at each other and after the second round came in not far behind the first, he determined for himself that it was incoming because the rate of fire of the outgoing was not compatible with the incoming rounds.   We calmly put our gear on and went back to work.  But that knot in the stomach tightened up again and clenched tight for a few seconds.   And the adrenaline dump doesn't go away quickly.  No one from our company was injured.  I don't have any info on the rest of the FOB.

 

            The Superbowl is killing me.  Just when I think my team has a chance, they choke.   Go figure.  AND, because we have to watch on AFN, we don't get to see the commercials either!  They're the best part.

 

            All well – at least they tried!

 

Its 6am and its ni ni time for me.

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz