Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The longest day (of the week)...

Thursdays - always long days.

I like how Thursdays begin - with a little Officer PT.  Today we played Ultimate Rugby - which is played exactly like "Ultimate (insert ball-type here)."  The gist of it is this: Two teams who want to score a "touchdown" in the goal area.  You can throw the ball as often, as far, and in any direction you want.  You just can't run with it.  Sounds easy, and it is. But it can get rough - usually when people don't abide by the "one arms length" rule.  Today, we played with the "one arm length" rule - everyone had to give the guy with the ball one arms distance (so no tackling the guy with the ball).  My forte at this sport is defense.  I can't throw for crap, but I'm fairly quick and can knock the ball down.  My team hasn't lost yet - we tied once - but we usually win.  The funny thing is we don't ever have the same teams.  They are always picked teams.

I took the camera in with me this morning, hoping to get some good pictures of Mt. Rainier, but it was kind of hazy and so I didn't get any.  I love living here.  Just having the mountain there every morning and every evening, menacing in its beauty, makes it a great place to live.

After PT, it was shower, coffee, and breakfast time.  I didn't get to take my time like I usually do because I knew I had a lot of work to get done.  Training Meeting days always are. I got into work and before I could even get started working, the SGM came to me with a personnel issue.  I felt like I was going to the principle's office.  As it turns out, one of my Troops just got back from TDY down in Texas (I think).  He took the government travel card - which was ok.  He spent over $6k - which isn't.  He's 30 days over due on $1,300.  Maybe there is a good reason for why he spent that much, but if there is, he needs to explain it.  I tried to call him, but I got his answering machine because he is on leave.  I'll try again tomorrow.

Once I was finally able to get to work, I knew I had a lot of it to do.  Essentially, I worked on perfecting the training slides the rest of the day until about 30 minutes before the meeting.  Fixing this, changing that, and helping the Commanders get their shit together - that was most my day.  I ate lunch at my desk (yummy stew from last nights dinner). Finally, I had done everything I could by 1400 and took a minute or two to relax.

I like Facebook.  I think its a great way to network, find old friends and acquaintances, and just keep in touch.  I have 176 friends, and I'm happy to say that I actually KNOW all of them (except one, but I think she may be off the list soon).  I don't just add people for no reason, they all mean something.  However, I have learned that it's best to NOT be friends with people you work with.  And sometimes that is hard.  I have "friends" at work and I would normally have no problem adding them as friends, but I won't - because I work with them.  There are some things I may say on Facebook that I just wouldn't say at work - and things always get around.  Today I watched some people "friend" each other at work - and I wanted to join in, but I didn't, because I knew I'd have to censor myself.  So, that's my rule - no work friends.  I even have one exception to that, and I hope I don't regret it.  It was unintentional.

Finally, at 1500 was the meeting that most of my week goes towards - the Battalion Training Meeting.  It went pretty well, no real issues, which is exactly how I like it.  If I do a good job, the meeting is boring and anti-climatic.  Everyone has their information and everything gets done.  It always gets hot in the conference room.  Today was no exception.  One of the Commanders brought left over Valentine chocolate and gave some to everyone.  By the time the meeting was over, my piece was trying hard to melt on the table.  After the meeting, I tried to escape but the SGM and CSM needed to talk to the company 1SGs and they were using my slides - on my computer - with my ID card.  I had to wait them out.  Damn.  Finally, I escaped with my computer and card and came home.

Carmen and Emily had their science fair presentations today.  They looked great.  Sarahann made the family some fantastic chicken and linguini dinner before she went to her belly-dancing class.  It's a good thing she's around or everyone would each whatever was cheapest and easiest to make.  Probably mac and cheese or cardboard pizza from Little Cesaers.  My wife takes great care of me.

Now, we sit on the couch and watch the Olympics.  Women's downhill skiing.  I wish NBC had broadcasted the events as they happened, especially on the weekend.  It kinda sucks to know who is going to win before you watch it.  How fun would it be to watch the Superbowl after you knew who won?  I understand that they want to put it on during primetime for ratings and all that, but that sucks for everyone else.

Now, I'm just going to go zone out and surf the internet a bit.


No comments:

Profile for Polarbz