Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Back into the Fire

Time to start writing again.  Maybe not often, but more often than "never."

But for now I'm just tired.  

So much to say, but so difficult to actually get to it.

Maybe too much is the way to start - and just prune back from there.

PT - The day always starts with PT.  Tuesday's is staff PT.  Today we did push-ups, sit-ups and we ran about four miles in a "last man up" run.  Not too hard, but good enough to get the heart rate up.  

After PT, it's home for a quick shower, a cup of coffee with my beautiful wife and some breakfast.  She makes me a lunch and I'm out the door, back to work.

The first day of the week is always "motor maintenance," where we PMCS the humvees and other equipment.  PMCS'ing a humvee takes about 45 minutes if you do it right.  Usually, the hardest part is finding a TM in order to do it "by the book."  Last week I got tired of not have a TM, so I downloaded it to my Kindle and used that to guide me through the PMCS steps.  Around 1000, my boss sent me to an 1100 meeting over on main post.

On the way, I stopped by the PX for a quick haircut (never hurts to look decent when you're in a meeting with people who may some day be your boss - or decide what you do next).  I arrived early for the meeting only to find out that it wasn't where I was told it was.  I scoured all the buildings in the area - three floors each, plus a basement in six buildings.  No luck.  No meeting.  An hour after the start of the meeting, I went back to the office.

Office work - fun.  Training meeting slides, update slides, briefing stuff.  Sometimes *I* wonder what I do.  Really, I'm in "charge" of Training, Schools, Land, Ammunition and the USR for the Battalion.  That means that I make sure the right NCOs do their job.  Mostly I do a lot of proof-reading slides and then spend more time in meetings where we plan how we're going to make things happen in the future.

I usually eat my lunch in the office.  Today it was a ham, turkey, cheese and tomato roll.  Nummy!  A can of Pepsi and a bag of Doritos round out the meal.  

After work, I picked up Amber from her soccer practice and Cody from his ROTC event at school.  We needed to pick up some stuff from Wal-Mart - get some glasses ordered for Cody and get some science project supplies for Emily and Carmen, who's projects are due tomorrow.

Back home, I helped Carmen find some pictures to print for her topic of "If the Sun is a star, why is it round" and we all - Carmen, my beautiful Sarahann, and I - glued them on her poster board.  It's her first science fair project - she should be proud.  While we were doing that, Sarahann cooked up a most superb pork steak dinner with mushroom sauce and spatzel noodles.  Too good.  How she has the energy after doing everything she does all day, I'll never know.  

Then I helped Emily with her project, sucking an egg through a bottle opening.  I video'd it and cut the clips out to be printed.  She put everything together.

Finally, we got the kids to bed, watched "Jeopardy!" and "Lost" and now it's time for bed.  I have my PTs in the bathroom ready to go in the morning, my alarm set and my eyes are drooping.  It's time.

It's the best part of the day, the part I look forward to when I first hit the "snooze" button in the morning - snuggling up to my darling and drifting away into dreamland, content and peaceful.

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz