Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

DAy 5? / JAN 26

Day 5? / JAN 25

            This morning was rough.  Somehow, I managed to drag myself out of bed after the alarm went off three times and I skipped the morning shower.   I hate early showers because there is never any hot water and there are a bunch of people in it.  

            It rained again last night and the mud is back in force!  I love it.  I never cleaned my boots from the last time so I don't feel bad walking through the puddles! 

            Sometime early this morning we fired about 10 outgoing rounds that rocked my CHU.   The only reason I know they were outgoing is because no one came looking for me for 100% accountability.  We upgraded the uniform today for some reason – no one I've talked to really knows why.  

            Today, I managed to conquer the world.  My armies successfully defeated the throngs of my OPS NCO and Training NCO armies to dominate at Risk II on the computer – another successful day.

            More lightning today with the rain… kind of a strange feeling to have the roll of thunder intermixed with the shock of outgoing rounds.   Today has been different in that I think we've fired more artillery rounds today than I've heard so far.
           Wow, big lightning just now with a thunder that rolled over us for about 10 seconds.... glad I'm inside... not glad that WHAT I'm inside is a metal building with a bunch of antennas all over it.

 

 

            I just read an article about a palace in Baghdad that had been destroyed with bunker busting bombs and cruise missiles during the first stages of the war.   Underneath the palace was an underground command center that was untouched by the numerous bombs and rockets.  Clearly, Saddaam was prepared for the type of aerial assault that we unleashed on him – so the question that I have is, why did we find him in a hole?   I'm thinking that maybe he wasn't in Baghdad or this bunker when we attacked.  That he was outside of the city, doing whatever and didn't have the opportunity to get back.

            What I find interesting is the fact that the bunker was completely intact (unfazed by the bombs) when the Rangers got to it and blew the doors open to clear it.   It has since been looted and destroyed by the locals, but it would have been interesting to see what was there.  I still think there is something else there that has been missed – a secret passage or something.   It would be interesting to find.  But, alas, I'm sure that I'll never be down that way.

            As it turns out, the bunker was designed by the great-grandson of the woman who designed Hitler's Bunker – which as I recall did have secret passages.

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz