Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Strange Thing


So, I thought I'd try this email blogging thing. And a strange thing happened tonight.

I went to put my daughter to bed tonight as I sometimes do because she goes to sleep better with someone to cuddle (as do I). Usually, I fall asleep with her because once I get nice and warm, I have a tendency to do that. I asked my wife to come get me in ten minutes because I wasn't really ready to go to bed yet.

So, I DID fall asleep, but only mostly. I was in that crazy state of consciousness where you aren't awake or sleep, but somewhere inbetween. I could feel my body laying on the bed, could hear the TV and see - but everything was very very fuzzy and unfocused. I tried to move to get up out of bed, but could not control any part of my body. I tried a leg, an arm, my head, even just to twist a bit to start the movement, but I couldn't move a thing. At first it wasn't worrisome, just a momentary lapse of movement due to being mostly asleep. Then, it continued and I became consciously aware of not being able to move - at all - and I began to get a little scared. I didn't think that I was permanently unable to move, but still - I felt that I should control what I moved or didn't.

Then my wife came in, or at least I thought she did. I could see her standing there - just a dark figure by the bed really, everything was still very fuzzy. I wanted to ask for help, to wake me up, to just wiggle me a little. I could only whisper, so softly I didn't even know if I could hear it, much less her. I whispered, "help me," "move me," "pull me." But she didn't react at all. I assumed she couldn't hear me and didn't want to disturb me sleeping.

Soon after that, I managed to move me head up a bit and that broke the spell. I was fully awake again and got up.

In the end, it was no big deal - but even that little bit of inability to control your own body can be scary.

IRAQ INFO:

Nothing new to report, its the weekend. Haven't left yet, no specific dates or times, or even places. I think "Iraq" is vague enough that the insurgents reading my blog won't put two and two together.

The Army is really trying to crack down on blogs from the war zone - and for OPSEC reasons, I completely understand and will definately not put out any info that could be used against myself or my Soldiers.

CASUALTY REPORT:
WIA 0
KIA 0
EWIA 0
WKIA 0

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz