Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

DAY 111 / MAR 20

DAY 111 / MAR 20

 

            Ok, maybe I'm wrong, but, I thought we went into Afghanistan to get rid of the Taliban because of their involvement in the 9/11 attacks and to stop their oppressive restrictions on women and religion and all that.   And I thought we won and they had free elections and women could run around with their faces showing, etc, etc, etc.   And, in fact, we are STILL there hunting down terrorists, right?   I know I saw something about us having a bunch of Soldiers still in that country.  Ok, with that said – I read this today…

 

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20060320/int/int4.html

 

AFGHANISTAN: Afghan faces death for becoming a Christian

 

This story says that this guy converted from Islam to Christianity 16 years ago.  Well, I guess it is still illegal in Afghanistan (where we have made all these great strides towards freedom and all that) to convert away from Islam.   The punishment for doing so is death.  So, really, it appears that all we have done is stop one form of oppression in that country and are now helping to support another form – where is the sense in that?   I don't care that the guy converted to Christianity – that's not the point.  The point is that this guy couldn't convert FROM Islam at all or he was punishable by death.   In fact, in the article, the judge said, "We are not against any particular religion in the world…" which really translates to "We are against every other religion in the world."   The defendant couldn't convert to Judaism, Catholicism, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, Wiccan, Pagan, or anything without being punished with death.  I see that we really did a lot of good there.   I can't say that I would be very proud of our accomplishments there if things like this are still acceptable.

 

***

 

I was awoke from my beauty sleep early this morning by the call to get together a patrol to go somewhere and fix something, again.   Luckily, I didn't have to actually go, I just had to put it all together – which I did.  Then, later on, I went to Brigade to learn some things about my new and upcoming job.   As it turns out, its mostly an OJT kinda job because learning all I would have to learn is like trying to drink a swimming pool with a spoon.

 

Back home, the kids had their first snow day off of school.  Its kind of ironic that it comes on the first day of Spring.

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz