Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Friday, August 18, 2006

R&R

R&R came and went like I'm sure it does for everyone - comes slow and goes fast - I'm sure I'm not alone in that boat.  I am however grateful that I got mine when I did so that I could be home for my anniversary of my marriage to my beautiful wife who has put up with too much during the last 7 months.  And continues to do so - generally without complaint.
    R&R consists generally of going from point A (say Iraq) to point B (somewhere with a big airfield in Iraq) to point C (somewhere is Kuwait where its hotter than hell and there is nothing to do) to point D (a refueling point between C and E - sometimes Ireland [good], sometimes Germany [not as good]), to point E (one of the hub cities) to point F (home city - or nearest city with an airport).
   Then you get your 15 days of Rest and Relaxation to do with what you will.  Personally, I chose to spend it all with my family, doing whatever family stuff we wanted - and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  We went to the pool, went to semi-pro baseball games [ok, not really semi-pro, but my daughter does play very well], went camping in the rain, and watched the fireworks show that was set up for our anniversary (how nice it is every year!).  At the house, we lounged around, watched movies and TV (not really watching TV or the movies, but just cuddling and being close - refilling up on each other), we laid on the hammock outside and watched as a storm rolled over the mountain and settled on us and getting us pretty wet before coming inside.  We watched the lightning in the storm dance between the clouds and occasionaly find the ground.
   One of my favorite times on leave was actually the last full day I was home (I loved every minute being home, but this one sticks out), we had baseball pictures in the morning, and then the rest of the day we spent at home, just being together.  That night, we watched movies back to back to back until we fell asleep on the couch together.  During the night, I got up and put in a new movie (at about 3am) because the TV was still on.  I put in Moulin Rouge, a romantic musical.  Although we slept through the whole thing, I remember hearing the music and movie in the background of my dreams, of holding my wife close and whispering the words to the songs in her ear as we slept.  I loved that time of peacefullness and tranquility - that all that existed at the moment was us.
    Another reason I put in movie after movie was to add that many more things that had to be done before I could leave the next morning.  I know it doesnt make much sense, but to have something, ANYTHING, between me and that time of getting on the plane was worth it.  It may not have added any more hours to my R&R, but it did add events - I guess it would be somehwhat akin to not being able to change the length of a river, but of just increasing the volume of water that flows in it.  Making the most of what we had.
    I cherish every second I had home.  And although being deployed to this wasteland sucks - maybe it helps me to appreciate being home that much more.  Not that I ever take my wife and family for granted, but a cool rain is that much cooler after a hot summer day.
    I only hope I can maintain that razor-sharp edge of absolute thankfullness for my wife that she so richly deserves - especially after I get home and get settled back in.  If we can make the most of every day together (whether its R&R in a deployment or lunch while in garrison), then we have succeeded in this life.

No comments:

Profile for Polarbz